WEEK 2

Some watercolor progress, dandelions are half painted in ! Their flowers and leaves make a strong yellow, but I was anxious to try their roots, having heard that they make a deep red-purple. I was disappointed by a soft olive brown. Still a beautiful color, but not at all what I was expecting.

 dandelions in !

dandelions in !

Started and nearly finished a woodcut this week! Planning to print this on linen flags colored with dandelions, which are featured in the print itself.

 

I have also rinsed out the first batch of bundle dyes! Many plants that I tried left little to no impressions. This may be due to the face that the sheet that I cut into strips was not the highest quality cotton...more experimentation will reveal the answer to that!

 Madder root and Oak leaves left bold impressions. 

Madder root and Oak leaves left bold impressions. 

The iron I added to the bath reacted with the tannins that are plentiful in all parts of oak trees to create that dark slate color. The soft green overcast is the result of Lupine in the bath

 more Oak and Madder root

more Oak and Madder root

 Bedstraw root 

Bedstraw root 


The most impressive result to me was the Bedstraw root. I foraged these at the institute, which is rather tedious work as they are so thin an fragile...but look at that color!! The impression is so crisp and hair like, it is definitely a plant I will return to. The hue is nearly identical to Madder, and Bedstraw grows natively all within the forrest undergrowth